tiistai 6. joulukuuta 2011

walking in a winter wonderland

It's officially time to blast Christmas music and decorate your house. It is time to start wrapping presents and baking: The count down for Christmas has officially begun, at least pour moi. One thing that is really getting me in the Christmas mood is the snow. Today was such a gorgeous day! It was pretty cold, but the sun was warming me up and practically blinding me too. My title for this post may be a little cheesy, but that is exactly how I felt today.

I still have a couple Christmas presents I really need to buy and it is kind of stressing me out. It's not as easy to go shopping here as back home. I also just found out that we are having a Christmas formal dance next Friday, which means I need to find myself a dress, quick.


Today at school we had a woman giving a presentation of her new book and basically telling her story. I can't remember her full name but her first name was Nora. She is originally form Algeria and now lives in Montreal with her husband and young daughter. Nora told us her story from before she was born to the present day, and wow all I can say is that she is one of the bravest people I have ever met. She has gone through things that I can't ever imagine going through. Abuse and violence played a big part in her childhood, and she never got to experience a regular youth. I am glad I understood most of her life story, because it was really inspirational. It was amazing to see that a person who has gone through so much during her life, still has such a positive outlook on life. After everything she is still strong and brave enough to tell her story to people, and even write a book about it. I was really impressed by her. It was one of those moments that make your "problems" seem tiny. You know what I mean?


After school I had volleyball practice and it went better then last practice, but I have to tell you that learning a whole new sport all of a sudden is not easy at all. So I give all my respect to people who are brave enough to just join a team and learn a new sport. I had no idea it would be so hard. But it's fun too. I am a person who loves team sports so I am kind of in my own element. I also joined to gym too and I am gonna try to go twice a week. Feels good to finally be doing sports again.


Last weekend we put up the fake Christmas tree and decorated it. It's a nice looking tree I have nothing against it, but I've never had a fake tree before. I love real Christmas trees. I love the smell, the way it looks, the way it pricks your fingers when you dress it up with decorations. I adore everything about it. Well it's just one more thing I can add to the list of things that will be different during this Christmas. 


Oh yeah one more thing. Hyvää itsenäisyyspäivää 94-vuotias Suomi, rakas kotimaa! I watched the linnanjuhlat today during my lunch break. It was strange to watch it without my mom, but it made me feel somehow at home when I watched it. It'll be really strange watching it next year without Tarja being there. I was bummed that I didn't get to watch the whole thing though because it's kind of been a tradition to watch pretty much the whole thing. I remember every year being all excited to see all the dresses and towards the end it became difficult to keep my eyes open, but as stubborn as I am I always want to watch the entire thing. When I was telling my host mother and sister about the linnanjuhlat I got to thinking just how important Finland's independence day is to us Finn's. It's something special that many cannot understand.

Master at pool haha.

We love you frosty.
















Je t'aime!

A song dedicated to my dear sister!

One of my favorites, but not so much her's ;)


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti